Mar 26, 2006

Up and down the highway



Not the Sunday I had planned. Woke to phone call this morning from my daughter in the Santo Domingo airport.

All week we'd been monitoring some bug bites she'd gotten there. She'd had a bad reaction and she was calling this morning to say her ankles were competely swollen
and the swelling reached her calves.
I assured her we would get medical attention as soon as she got home.

I hung up and called our doctor whom informed me that she should seek medical attention as soon as she arrived in the States. Since cellulitis was the primary concern they thought time was of the essence.

I called my ex husband who lives 25 miles away to tell him we needed to go to New York to pick up our daughter. A 3- 4 hour drive depending on traffic etc.

Fortunately he's a professional driver and lives on the way.

We spent the next few hours talking and expressing our concerns for our daughter.
We shared more information today than we did in our five year marriage. More than we have in the last fifteen years we've been divorced.

When we got to New Rochelle we were able to meet up with my daughter and her friends.
We loaded her in the car and took her temp. Normal.

We decided to make the trek back to Noho to have her seen in our local ER rather than dealing with an unknown hospital.

So back we sped up 95 North. Arriving at our local hospital three hours later.

An hour and a half in the emergency room and the bites were not found to be infected but my daughter had sinusitis, an ear infection and strep throat.
The three medications prescribed will take care of the bug bite symptoms and my girl should be okay.

Thank goodness. But what a tiring day.

Night everyone.

Hope you and your's are all okay.

8 comments:

Jozee said...

Thanks Mr. Fab. I'm still beat but all's well that ends well. Thank God- if there is one!

Polyman2 said...

You never know
what will infect you
when you travel
out of the states.
That's why I never leave.

Jozee said...

Good plan man.
Either that or socks and sneakers everywhere you go.
Especially under 3rd world conditions.

Calvin said...

Thiss is great mama. I love this shot.

Paul G. said...

Nothing ventured...

She will remember this trip as a real adventure - something more than a swiming pool with a funny name.

Best wishes on her full recovery.

Jozee said...

Thanks, Cal. That's our local highway,and sky.

Paul, you're right. She matured more than I even thought she would.

This trip was an independant study about gender and cultural differences.

Despite her own difficulties on this journey she is planning to take the next 2 levels of the class which will mean two more trips!

My tenacious girl- she'll be more prepared next time.

Thanks for your interest and wishes.

henri Banks said...

Oooh deary you had some exiting day there in noho you poor girl i hope your daughter is okay now !!!

Jozee said...

She's on the mend Mooney. Thanks!