Jun 8, 2006

Dispelling myths




Just a few words about
professions of mine . Past and present.

Looking through my blog- my posts may cause you to think I might have some mood or personality disorder.

I realize I display a wide range of character traits particularly noticeable when my blogs are viewed as a whole.
Non related to any type of disorder.

I work at home and have constant access to my computer.
My work often determines what I'm writing. Though my profession is not at all related to my blogging.

Let it suffice to say I'm responsible for a lot of little souls.

Any noticeable shifts from sedate to wild occur when I am blogging off the clock and am not self censoring.

In my most recent, past profession I was a bartender. I worked in the same restaurant for 11 years.

The profession I have now is not so disimilar except- I now serve my clients milk instead of martinis and- I can put them to bed when they misbehave.

Bartending was a fun vocation when I wasn't flat out in the weeds. (Restaurant term for so much to do at once.)
It's a social job. Entertaining clients with banter was
part of the gig. Probably why blogging is such a fun outlet for me. I'm used to initiating conversations.

Though I worked at my last job for 11 years it wasn't the only bartending job I held.
I started in Maine at my aunt's inn when I was 17. That was a good time job. Next to the ocean. I met a man twelve years my senior there who became my fiance. Our relationship lasted 2 years.

People think bartenders hook up all the time. In my case that's just not true. The next time a man asked me out over the bar I was 8 months pregnant and separated from my then husband.

I couldn't believe this man would ask me out while in this state. I accepted. He seemed nice. A gentle, young guy from India originally.

He lived a few towns away and pointedly came in at off times to visit me. He was a musician too. I have a soft spot for music makers.

So, I said yes- when he came to pick me up for dinner he arrived with a potted flowering plant, his guitar and lyrics he'd written for me. He performed my song, presented me with a handwritten copy of the lycrics and we went out to eat.

Truthfully, so much attention in my very pregnant state was quite fightening.

When he called again I made excuses.

I didn't have another date for 6 years.

So two dates- in 20 years of bartending. So much for hooking up.



*When I went out to dinner on Saturday night- my would be, long ago, Indian suitor was sitting just down the bar. Sitting with his blonde, bored wife. Poor guy. I said hi with a nod. Can't help but wonder if he remembered who I was when he got home.
Life is so funny.

13 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

So, Jozee, I keep learning about you!! Little by little :) I'm sure you could write a book!

ChickyBabe said...

Interesting how readers build an image of a blogger that is based on their perceptions. I've had a few people with theories; I just smile and only occasionally correct them.

Jozee said...

Thanks everyone!

Ginnie thanks for listening. I think this is my book. Eliminating the middle man. Self publishing. ;-)

Chicky Babe, I'm having a contest with a question I can't answer. Who's the male French philosopher that died within the last decade(or so) known for discovering that written word has more than one meaning?

Mr Fab glad to help! The shorthand for that expression is just- I'm in the weeds! Have fun!

GTX said...

"Au contraire", you are a very smart girl (and with humour).

Jozee said...

Thank you Gtx.

Found this blog this morning maybe you would like it...

GTX said...

I liked very much and I must tell you that she writes very well those poems.
But I need to understand Americans. I probably disappear suddenly and reappeared again or forever.
But I need to understand that Americans people its not so as they say.
So far I found sensible people blogging human stuff and I want to find more.

I remember when you have some time free, to propose you some poems of Fernando Pessoa, a poet from Portugal.
http://pintopc.home.cern.ch/pintopc/www/FPessoa/FPessoa.html

heather said...

I like how you said you now serve milk. That cracked me up. :)

Jozee said...

Gtx, I think what I understand you to say is that you are trying to understand Americans from their own
perspective rather than the portrayal of us from the media. Yes?

An old parable still holds true- believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Remember- media is big business controlled by just a few.

Also remember something I think about often - there are good and bad people in all races and genders.

I don't understand what you mean by -"I probably disappear suddenly and reappeared again or forever."

Could you explain further?




Thanks again for poetic reference.
Josie

Jozee said...

Thanks Heather! Glad to make you laugh.

Unknown said...

Nice sand box. I work at home too, but never had an Indian guy ask me out.

Jozee said...

Hi Vince, Maybe you should get a sandbox. ;-)

GTX said...

I must say that I found so much richness trough communication between all of you, blog guys.
I must see and hear myself to understand why all those people, and among them some folks I know, are against all americans and aren't against russians or europeans or afrikaners, or else.

Why the hate against other common people that have, in a way or other, the same daily routines, to wake up, found food, bath and, overall, gave ourselves to the others no matter we want or not, it happens just by looking to someone (like if hate for someone was an act of intelligence and smartness).

I don't have the habit to believe and, what's worst, to support some ideas just because I'm in the middle of a group of persons taking a conversation. No, I always say what I think, concerning to the subject, but some times I stop when I see that my message isn't getting trough.

To vanish or to disappear is simply that I'm commenting and posting at PC work and some times I can access the computer for a long period (maybe months) so I preferred to spend my online time searching for matte souls that give me a nearby idea of americans.
I know there are bad americans, it's the same for portuguese.
But, for each bad one I've been found much better ones...!
Well, I don't like Bush (that means "arbusto" in portuguese)

Jozee said...

Gtx,

I've read this over a few times since yesterday and have been thinking of how to respond.

I don't pretend to be able to discuss politics.

In my opinion Bush is nothing but a scary figurehead. He's not a man of substance- to me he's a loser with a personal agenda.

America is a vast country with so many types of people. Unfortuanately we all get lumped into the pro Bush camp.

Just know- that not everyone here supports him. I abhor bullies and I'm not proud to be identified with a bully of global scale.

As for camaraderie among bloggers and Americans- I believe that's the true nature of Americans. Generally we're friendly people and trusting.

Occasionally this trust can be an invitation for trouble. Generally it's not.

When I was a child in school we were taught that anyone could be president of our country. As I've grown I've found this isn't completely true. Still I think it's a great foundation and perspective to begin life with, a leveling of the playing field. A concept that keeps us cohesive as people.

The blogosphere belongs to everyone just as our planet does. The internet gives people a place to come together.


Peace.