Thoughts I Can't Get Out of My Head
Alternate title: Things One Shouldn't Say At A Funeral
My mom died after a seven month long struggle with lung cancer. During that fast forward period of decline I attended her till her death. In other words the horrible and rapid decline toward her death happened in my house under my watchful care. I had seven months to steel myself toward the idea that she was leaving me and there was nothing I could do about it.
She didn't want a funeral service but other family memebers did. So, with her permission, after her death we set out to have one.
While at the church setting up, I was approached by a friend of my brother. A man who's held mighty enough positions to know about diplomacy if not care and concern.
His greeting to me was, "So, how's it feel to be an orphan?"
I was shocked, tewnty years of serving alchohol to drunks and others served me well. I stiffened my back and let it bounce off me. Hell, I'd already endured my father's death by suicide seventeen years earlier. I also had already known this man in front of me, confronting me now- to be an ass. I moved on and got through the day.
Weeks later my sister said , " Do you know what someone asked me at Mum's funeral?"
When queried she said, "Someone asked me how it felt to be an orphan."
I got immediately angry. I said, "That must have been so and so, he asked me the same thing!"
Incredulously - no! It was someone else. A woman. A friend, I thought till then.
Life never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:
goodness. i can think of several comebacks, like 'erm, i dont know its too early to tell, but tell me, how does it feel being a dickhead?'
bless them. in their own way i gues they were trying to extend some form of sympathy?
i nursed my mum too. very hard hey? i am sorry jozee x
Sweetie, in his case I already knew the answer to the question. I was even more incredulous the second time around. But yeah, what ev.
About our mums it's something I always expected to do- just not so soon. I'm sorry , for your loss of Little Moth.
R E S P E C T and love, Josie
me neither, and not for so long. special little moths we had. big hug the jo the zee
Post a Comment