Jan 15, 2007

Greetings From Beyond

Memories

Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to make oatmeal raisin cookies.
I also mentioned that I didn't want to look in my own cookbooks for the recipe for various reasons.

One of them being, there are so many memories attached to the cookbooks I have.
My mom was a Betty Crocker Cookbook fan. It's the cookbook I grew up with.
I have her copy and mine.

My copy was presented to me as a gift from my father for my 31st birthday by my mom. My dad had died two two weeks before.
My mom told me how he'd patiently bought an auction lot of about two hundred books to give me this one.

I have to admit, I cried.

Not wanting to stir up memories I decided to Google recipes.

After perusing the web and not finding a recipe to my satisfaction I decided to get out the Betty Crocker anyway.
When I did, it fell open to the cookie section (Russian teacake recipe, one of my mom's specialties) and I found this card inside.

IMG_0873

I may have left the card in my book at some point and forgotten it, I'm not sure.

Today I took delight in considering it a hello from my mom.
She knew and supported my love for fairies.
It's a brand new card, the greeting inside says, thinking of you.

When I got to the recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies I found the illustration apropos for a mother now gazing down from heaven.

IMG_0904


I'm thinking of you too Mum...and Dad.




When I recounted this story to bebe and my daughter, bebe asked,
"Isn't it great to be loved?"




It certainly is.
Help yourself to a cookie.

3 comments:

Pod said...

jozee that is lovely....that you found the card and took its meaning....i have had similar experiences....they are smiling at their wonderful little girl..bless ya x

( i believe in faeries too!)

Jozee said...

Thank you so much, Poddy.

We believers of the fae have to stick together!

Pod said...

sure thing jozee malone!